Written by: Lachelle Bender
After a long semester of studying and feeling completely and utterly jet lagged, a holiday break is the perfect opportunity to catch up on sleep, binge watch your favorite Netflix series or just chill with family and friends. I hate to ruin it for you but don’t get too comfortable, because although your are relaxing with some idle time on your hands, now is not the time to just stop preparing for what is next.
Although you don’t want to think about next semester, it may be in your best interest to take a little time during your break to consider what your plan looks like for 2015. Questions you should be asking yourself are:
- Do I have a plan?
- What does that plan look like?
- Have I updated my resume and social media pages (LinkedIn, Facebook, Etc.)
- Have I applied for any internships?
- Will having an internship help me in my plans after graduation?
- Do I have the classes I need to be on track for graduation?
- Have I searched the job market in my industry to see what hiring looks like today?
- Who am I considering as a potential employer after I have graduated?
- What is that company looking for in a candidate?
- What professional organizations should I consider membership to that will position me for my career after graduation?
So while you are breaking don’t break too much. You can use this time to strategically make magic next semester or in semesters to come, if you take a little time to think about where you are now and where it is you want to go in the not so distant future. Enjoy your holidays, the lights, the parties, the festivities and the food. Just don’t forget to at least do one or two things mentioned on the list above.